Thursday, August 13, 2015

A loving tribute to Molly and Maisy

To Molly, The One Who Taught Me How To Fiercely Love

Molly was the easy puppy we all hoped to get.  A calm, loving black bear cub.  Never chewed up anything and never peed in the house.  Her nickname was "sneaky" because she so quietly followed me everywhere just to be near her human.  The term "Lazy," came up early in our lives together, but she simply chose to conserve her energy for when it truly mattered such as for deer, rabbits, or squirrel ( or a chip hit the floor).  I certainly did not care that she failed a fancy hunting test and was given away as a "dud."  She was the best chips eating, football watching, couch cuddling dog ever known.  She cared more about making sure I was in her sight at all times even during fun trail hikes off leash than anything else.  I am blessed her final 24hrs were amazing. Not because I knew she was about to have a spinal cord stroke, but because this is the life we had.  She went on a business trip with me, head-out-the-window, through the mtns of TN.  Along the way, we stopped to hike in the Smokies and swim in lakes, then we got upgraded at the hotel to a big ole king sized bed which we ate fried chicken in while cuddling at midnight.  The next morning, I asked if she wanted to "go for a walk!" she looked up at me with the biggest smile ever, then  suddenly had a stroke.  I got her to an ER in a strange town and upon learning she would always be paralyzed on her entire left side, I decided to let her go.  When it is my time, I would love to have a final 24 hrs like that,  then a sudden, short stint of pain before dying with my favorite companion by my side looking into my eyes.  How could I not do that for her after all she gave me? 

 To Maisy, The One Who Taught Me How To Fiercely Ask For What I Want

   Maisy was the puppy we all end up with.  She constantly barked at anyone and everyone to play fetch or joyfully run around outside.  She loved everyone and everything (except salamanders and geckos).  She would just as easily get in a car with strangers as with me.  Exuberant and passionate for everything!  The term "bad dog" came up early on in our lives together, butshe taught me that endless passion, strong drive, acute agility and overwhelming zest for life does not mean “bad?”  She asked for what she wanted (play, Woman!!) without apology and literally everyone laughed and loved her for it.  Very late at night, when no one was looking, she would sneak in to cuddle.  Her last night was a fun evening with friends gathered around our porch in which she gave each of them a turn to play with her late into the night.  The next morning, she could not stand up.  She slipped a disc in her lower back which proved painful and inoperable.  She would never run, play, swim or chase a ball again.  When I rolled a ball at her in the ER, and it bounced off her muzzle, the look in her eye told me to let her go.  How could I not do that for her after all she gave me?  

These girls traveled with me overseas for my job to less than ideal locations.  Every time they deplaned, they took one look around and were happy.  We had couches, tennis balls and each other.  Together they taught me that the grass is only as green as we choose it to be on any given day, in any given location.  They always chose happiness.  Don't forget to love, don't forget to play, always ask for what you want, (no matter what because the worthy people will love you for it); and don't be afraid to strive ahead, but always keep the ones you love close by. 

But now, as if to just pile it on, the deer, rabbits, squirrels and salamanders seem to know my girls are gone.  Much to the chagrin of my neighbors, I find myself running, screaming and waving my arms (and laughing) across the backyard to scare them away from my garden.  In the spirit of my girls, I just have to...

21 comments:

  1. Best.tribute.ever. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They always let us know when it's time, don't they?

    Just beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful tribute. I am so happy that you had them in your life.
    Thank you for sharing Molly and Maisy with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know those feelings well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful girls and lovely heartfelt words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you for sharing your beautiful girls

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful. How fortunate they were to have you in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very touching and what a sweet pair of pups they were.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was very nice, love my dog more now

    ReplyDelete
  10. That you, Meredith for suggesting this and posting it and also to everyone who posted such nice comments. It proved very cathartic to write these paragraphs. What I wrote was even longer for myself and perhaps something I really needed to do. Please do hug your doggies extra tight tonight. You just never know. I knew mine were aging and arthritic, but I had no idea our time was so short. I'm grateful to say I would not have done anything any differently had I known which is a comfort in itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon 10:16

      You mentioned in your tribute that one of your doggies was trained for, but not used for hunting. How did you find her? Was it from a trainer?

      I know you can adopt guide dogs for the blind that have not passed and retired police dogs, but never heard of hunting dogs.

      That might be a great option for people looking for more outdoors dogs.

      Delete
    2. I have heard of trainer's who do the hunting trials selling or giving away a dog that wasn't going to be good enough to show in trials. I've also heard they can make a good hunting dog for the average hunter.

      Delete
  11. Well done Meredith. You have a heart of gold. :)
    Alice

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sweet. I'm so sorry for your loss! I have to admit, no loss has ever hit me as hard as when I lost my dog 5 years ago. I waited about 1.5 years and adopted a totally different dog who needed me as much as I needed her. When I brought her home I wondered why I waited so long? Outside at 3:30 that morning with her, I wondered if maybe I'd rushed into it :).
    There's no love like the love of a dog. Can't imagine losing two in such close succession. Sending you my best and wishes of a lighter heart in the days to come.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They say dogs like routine, but I also realize how much I adjust my routine to my dog and how much our little rituals mean, as well as the special language I use with her! That would be a big loss and adjustment to make when she's gone--the giving of love as well as what I get from her. She brings out the fun side in me--- I love to hide on her and listen to her rush about looking for me and her excitement when she finds me! I'm glad it's helpful to share a little of what your dogs meant to you. I love hearing about others' dogs and how they enrich our lives beyond measure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this. And hide and seek is Big Fun with my two.

      Delete
    2. Anon 10:45 - you are so right. I felt so lost suddenly because of the sudden loss of the routine with Maisy and Molly. This past Monday was the first day I came home to NO DOGS. It was crazy weird for me! I will be okay and everything, but it is an adjustment. I know this is creepy weird, but I am having trouble vacuuming my house and washing my comforter! After 10 years of trying to rid my house of it, I am suddenly sad to clean it up for the last time!! I have to do it this weekend. Its time.

      Delete
    3. After my dog died his smoosh marks on the back window of my SUV stayed there over a year. I couldn't wash away that part of him until I had to sell it...I can totally relate to what you are saying (((hugs)))

      Delete
    4. Oh man! I hadn't even thought of the slobber on the car window or the glass doors into my house. I saw some previously unnoticed drool and tiny bits of a treat on my micro suede couch this morning and cried. A year? Crud, I'm in for a long road here. For some reason that I can't explain, but is in my gut, I know I am not supposed to have any dogs right now. So, I am going to see how that plays out for awhile and grieve some more before I rush out to get another dog. No matter how much I LOVE having dogs in my life and the stable routine it brings me, I have to give this nagging gut feeling a chance...which is even harder when this afternoon, a lost BLACK LAB runs into my yard. I wanted to pretend I didn't see the collar on her and KEEP her, but of course I called her owner. She looked just like Maisy, but smaller.

      Delete
  14. Over 10 years ago, I wanted a lab. I grew up with labs and was desperate for one. I could not afford a reputable breeder's lab (and I don't borrow money from others for that....). Back then, I was young and did not know about lab rescue groups and was scared of shelters. Please don't skewer me. It was my first foray into dogs as a young adult. I know now. So, back then, I looked into reputable breeders and found some that have "started dogs." They are dogs that either failed field trial/hunting early tests or retired female breeding dogs. They aren't cute 8 week old $2000 puppies for whatever reason. The breeder had a policy that if someone wanted to give up one of her dogs, she wanted first dibs to take it back - hence "started dogs." Molly was available at 4 months old, so I was so grateful to get her. Four or Five months later, the breeder contacted me and said she had a dog from Molly's same litter who was returned to her - and would I take her for free! She knew I wanted a lab play mate for Molly, so of course a litter-mate sister for free was so exciting. It never occurred to me *why* she was returned. Ahem. The entire drive home, she kept trying to bite the windshield wiper and rain drops on the way-back window....She was a night mate initially, but sometime later, she turned into an amazing dog. Having a solid everyday routine and hiking/swimming everyday was all it took to have her be a "normal" (crazy) lab. Of course, now I know one can get a lab at a shelter or a lab rescue if one is intent on a certain breed. But, its too soon for me to even think about new dogs, but I am a dog person, so I will get a few new best friends when I'm ready. Again, thank you for all the neat comments. I can't believe they are both gone!

    ReplyDelete