Monday, November 2, 2015

Littles

Six years ago I pulled a little white bug eyed Chihuahua from a shelter in Spalding GA where they still gassed their dogs.  He was a rescue only because of his temperament.

I had him brought up on a transport in January of 2009 intending just to foster him. I went to reach for him out of the crate where I met the transport van and he tried to bite.  I had to shake him out of his crate like salt shaker to get him out. He was emaciated terrified and full of fleas.

I took him home and bathed him in  the sink at the horse  barn where there was warm water to get rid of the fleas before introducing him to Cali and Sadie.  After I got him in the house he took right to me. I was his.

Because of how terrified he is of strangers and his willingness to bite when cornered I decided to keep him. Out of 50+ foster dogs he was my only "foster fail".  I don't generally name my foster dogs. They are referenced by their gender or breed as I know people will change their names but will always default and say good boy or good girl. It would be familiar.

Littles was how i referred him at first and it stuck. This picture is from 2009.

Interestingly enough a bad break up with a guy named John prompted me to bandaid my heart with a distraction...Littles needed me and I needed him.

Talk about foreshadowing. Another silent John. The first one 6 years ago broke up with me by simply never talking to me again after we departed per usual one morning. As in I never heard from him again ( until 2 years later when he apologized and I gave him a second chance....and after 8 months of dating he did it again! Haven't spoken to him since).

Coward.

The both of them.

9 comments:

  1. Wow! You are a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      Littles face is so skinny in this picture! Feels links it was taken a lifetime ago.

      Delete
  2. You have a good heart. It just shines. You deserve better than that kind of guy! I sure hope the right one comes your way. But in the meanwhile just be yourself as always. I know from experience that the right one comes when you stop looking. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to share it so you all can keep me honest. I'm smitten with johnathons skills and capabilities and know how easy it is to overlook disappointments when you want it to work.

      This isn't what I want or deserve and I might need reminded in the future!

      Delete
  3. You're really sparkling in this photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Oddly enough I think I look terrible in it, that's not how I picture myself.

      Delete
  4. The important thing is that Littles ended up with you. I'm sure the BF was fun while he lasted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can we have a Littles update? How are things going? Hope all is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was looking for a Littles update too? Remember to take care of yourself as well as him!

    ReplyDelete