Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Speaking of work

A comment was left that questioned my ability to work if I did not use a chainsaw. 

Lets count the ways

1. Using a log splitter to split log after log after log
2. Throwing split logs into dump bed truck
3. Stacking dumped logs
4. Handing off logs to be stacked
5. Weed eating
6. Cutting vines off the trees (so important!)
7. Cleaning and maintaining equipment
8. Pruning
9. Burning brush
10. Selecting logs to cut
11. Chaining logs to tractor to be pulled to a more accessible location for cutting, splitting, and transporting
12. Centralizing brush for burning
Etc

When I help Johnathon with tree work add using the commercial chipper and manning the rope used to slowly lower limbs and parts of the trunk as not to damage power lines, structures, etc.

If you are nervous about using equipment or the equipment available is too heavy, large, or for whatever reason unsafe for you to use NEVER feel pressured into running or using it.

This photo is of a portion of the wood that had been split, transported, and stacked This week.

Notice the outdoor furnace. When you solely heat with wood...no matter what time of the year having it at the ready is your number 1 priority.

7 comments:

  1. How efficient is an outdoor furnace? I use a wood stove, which is radiant heat. I imagine you lose most of the heat if the furnace is outside your house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They actually work very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Johnathons parents have a really nice one and evidently they are amazing.

    I showed him this picture and he made a comment about heat loss due to the chimney piped up, his parents is different.

    I'll ask him more about them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your job sounds fun! Are you enjoying it? I know you've been searching a long time for steady and active work. ~AM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not pigs and my mind is actively all day everyday tormented by the abuse and welfare of the pigs at Ayrshire Farm.

      Aside from that I enjoy it. I only work part time (my coworkers only work.part time and this type of work needs company) which is bad for the budget but good for my chronic fatigue. I can get a nap in most days but am still often exhausted.

      Due to funds and needing to change my residency I'm off my medication that helps me sustain a somewhat normal lifestyle so it's a struggle. Little energy equals little money. I'm just squeaking by so that's a source of anxiety.

      So yea...the work is good and it pays the rent, food, gas and phone but that's about it. Thankfully I live in an apt the uncle of my boss owns and they are really kind and accommodating.

      The guys I work with are hilarious as in I laugh the entire time we don't have ear plugs in.

      For now this is the best fit.

      We will see what the fall and winter bring.

      I'm meeting with my lawyer on Tuesday and am going to see if I can pull enough pennies together to submit a claim in small claims court for 3 pigs I had a contract to purchase.

      I can sell everything in my trailer and my trailer to pay for them.

      I have to try.

      Delete
    2. Transitions can be tough, but it sounds like things are looking up. Now that you're up here in PA, be sure to keep an eye on Horse of Delaware Valley classifieds section and especially www.pasafarming.org classifieds (that's where I found the other PA or NJ pig listing you checked out awhile back). They both tend to have decent ag or animal job postings, sometimes with housing. Good luck! ~AM

      Delete
    3. I'll check that out for supplemental work. I'm watching an alpaca farm here in the near future...once the babies are through being born.

      Delete