Thursday, July 30, 2015

Limping and smooth sailing

Well the trailer I purchased after my September 2012 house fire and have used as storage has officially moved from VA to PA.

This is a big deal.

I moved just about all my earthly belonging out of Loudoun County and into my new real deal PA life. I'm not going back to VA (Ayrshire Farm affairs being the exception).

Hello partial closure to the ever present trauma of VA. House fire, Eddie's death, Ayrshire etc. The constant reminders are no longer physical...which is a welcomed relief as the mental and emotional wounds are still fresh and are enough to deal with.

The trailer was also hauled by Johnathon. This sounds like a nonissue but on the contrary. I've trusted all 2 people to haul it and Eddie wasn't even one of them! One of them trailers it 3 miles and the other was my go to brother of a friend who I knew could do it (albeit with an I'd rather be doing something else attitude).

Between the knowledge needed to trailer, having a truck that is large enough to pull it, and the patience to deal with issue as they arise it's only been moved within a 5 mile radius since I bought it and initially trailers it to VA.

Johnathon to the rescue. He offered to get it and nonchalantly suggested the following day. He had worked a full week, did a tree job on Saturday, and was willing to dedicate his Sunday to helping me? Hard to grasp. Saturday night we got the mobile air compressor...yep, he meant business.  My heart raced thinking of him experiencing my VA world, if just for a few hours. Virginia wasn't unkind to me but it was one challenge after another. I get nauseous at the word Virginia.

We would drive past were Eddie died, past the house where I had the fire, be on the same road 3 miles away from Ayrshire Farm, he would meet my parents...oh my.

Sunday morning came and he didn't change his mind.

We left PA, quickly drove through MD, picked up a few of my things that were in WV, and ventured into VA.  It was uneventful.

On the way home, just south of Thurmont MD mid story about loading and trailering a cow he was interrupted by a BOOM!

Blown trailer tire.

HE TOOK IT ALL IN STRIDE with a smile on his face. "What can you do?" he commented as he maneuvered the truck and trailer off the road. We shifted my things to get the spare out and the spindly jack in with it...and the tool that didn't even fit my lug nuts...

To the rescue he came...bigger jack and correct sized tool. I held the flashlight and picked up acorns that spilled out when I opened the side door to get the spare.  A cop showed up giddy that there was a race or show car inside (because of the decals)....he asked what he were hauling and was disappointed when I pointed the flashlight at the ground and showed him hundreds of acorns.  The load got a bit tossed the first mile on serious pot holes on a back county gravel road.

We were on the road in 30 minutes.  The 3 other tires were a bit worrisome as the trailer had been sitting for quite awhile and they weren't in the best shape.  We made sure the best tire on each side was full of air and took out a smidge in the not so hot tires and took it slow and steady.

Passing where my aunt and uncle live we thought about dropping it off and getting new tires before going the last 45 minutes....nah, I have faith it will hold he said...you're testing your luck I responded.

Just a few miles from where I live boom, another flat tire. Exhausted he took me home to let out the dogs and nap while he drove to his parents to get tires he had that would fit...but not before running to Wal-Mart to get a lock on the trailer to prevent someone else from trailering it out of the parking lot at the local mall.

He man handled the tires onto the trailer rims and got the trailer to his house.

I slept with a smile.

Not one complaint made.

My father is an irritable man.  I expect everyone to get annoyed or be angry or impatient if things don't go smoothly. I avoid situations where they might not go smoothly on my account (like moving a trailer).  Eddie always said "you're a blessing not a burden".

Johnathon treats me like a blessing...and I'm absolutely blessed to be around such kindness.

No offence VA but you're known for your beautiful places not beautiful people...PA on the other hand? I'm running into kind individuals left and right.

They say money changes people.  I was living in the wealthiest county in the US and that "change" was apparent.

27 comments:

  1. He's a keeper Meredith :)
    On another note, this is to Jenna: Jenna, you can espouse all you want about being one of the in crowd because you are haying. You will *never* be a farmer, not in your heart, EVER. You have sullied that concept so deeply in your mind, that you will always be a pariah to those of us who do farm. If I see one more post about haying (this seems to be your boilerplate "I am haying see me be strong like farmer" post, I think I may actually vomit. I unloaded and stacked 400 bales with one other person on Monday. I did not write one single post about it. Farmers don't brag, they do. You seem to only do things so you can brag about them. Please, try and find some other profession to glom onto... I hear heathenry is looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I am haying see me be strong like farmer"

      Interesting how she, JW, was the only woman in the photo that was not sweaty. Too busy taking pics.

      Delete
    2. You said it all, Anon 1:17. I made around two thousand squares last year and there were never more than three people working. I unloaded and stacked plenty by myself, too-- and never once felt the need to post pics on FB proclaiming myself a tiger. We didn't go swimming after, either-- we had chores to do, more hay to cut, equipment to grease/fix/move-- wtf? It's summertime-- if it's still light out there's more work to do. The neighbor made 500 yesterday with one guy stacking the wagon-- this morning they stacked it in the barn. If I called him a tiger he'd probably think I was making a pass at him-- it wouldn't occur to him that he'd done anything remarkable. It's just farming.

      Of course she loves haying, she's hardly doing anything. It's a novelty to her.

      Delete
    3. Lord knows Jenna can't expend the smallest effort without congratulating herself. She seems to think she should get some award for pretending to help others with farm chores or taking a whole day to feed and water her animals. It's not a farming blog, it's a praise Jenna blog.

      C.

      Delete
    4. Now she's bragging because she got cat called while out jogging. And get this-- one of her more dull witted followers suggested her next book be "the Farmgirl Fitness Plan".......make it stop.

      Delete
    5. Farmgirl fitness plan? It's called working.

      She has me blocked on Facebook...too funny.

      Delete
  2. On Facebook she showed a picture of a new pair of running shoes, behind it is a wooden horse cart. So, when did she manage to buy that? Before or after the puppy? Before or after the root canal? Inquiring minds are confused.

    Ouch on that tire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 7-15-15 "It's a keep-the-lights-on-and-truck-in-the-driveway kind of month, this July." .........and new running shoes kind of month.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, she saved up all her beer, ice cream, hard cider money , or some such nonsense to buy them.

      If I did that all I'd have is enough to buy shoes from the discount bin at the local thrift store.

      At the price of running shoes these days she sure is sucking down a lot of beer and ice cream.

      ~j~

      Delete
  3. Welcome home, Meredith. PA is a wonderful place.

    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post, Meredith! Especially this line: "Johnathon treats me like a blessing...and I'm absolutely blessed to be around such kindness." We should all be in relationships like that. Three cheers for patient, kind, unflappable men!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where and how did you meet this treasure?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Match.com

      I impulsively joined...contacted him immediately. We talked...we met...we both immediately canceled our accounts.

      :)

      Delete
  6. Glad you made it safely and had such awesome help! Sounds like a wonderful new start on many counts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gem of a man! Handsome, handy and kind. Does he have a brother? :)

    I hope all goes well for you. Sounds like you're off to a good start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! A twin.





      ...who is gay ;)

      Sorry to get your hopes up!

      Delete
  8. That was quite an adventure. Glad you made it safely and best of all you sound happy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How sad is it that she gets so little male attention she's actually pleased that some random creep yelled "nice ass" at her?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Was that on Facebook? I didn't see it on her blog.

    I wonder if she saw the photos of Meredith's friend and was not to be outdone?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why would anyone want to know her fitness plan? She's been at it since January and judging by the results she must have something wrong with her metabolism.

    Jenna Woginrich Honestly, my fitness plan is the last thing Americans want to hear - it's dramatically change your fitness level and drastically change your eating habbits. I am running nearly 30 miles a week and giving up sugar, carbs, grains and fruits. I eat meat and vegetables. No one wants to read a book called "Run and stop the Donuts" because we already know that book.
    Like · 10 · 18 hrs · Edited

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's been at it longer than that. I've been following her blog for years and she's always on some sort of diet or fitness plan. Don't know why nothing seems to work.

      Delete
    2. Let me spell it out. She's L Y I N G. She makes these claims, then she goes out and has an ice cream.

      Delete
    3. Jenna, tell us your secret! How did you lose the weight, Jenna?! What are you eating, Jenna?!...........huh?? She still looks like a 'before' picture.

      Delete
  12. bc she only ever sticks to anything for a few days until its not "farmer" vogue anymore. You run 30 miles a week?????? HOLEEEE SHEEEEEET.

    ReplyDelete