Thursday, January 2, 2014

Belly and me

My mother came for a quick visit this week.

A few photos...

(can only post 2 at a time from my phone)

Pt 1

Belly, the pig I'm petting below, has somewhat turned himself into the farms pig production mascot. I'm not really sure what my coworkers think of him...or me, but it will be an especially sad day when his time comes.

My presence on this farm has influenced many of my coworkers perceptions when it comes to the pigs.  No longer are they merely labor intensive animals that require an extensive amount of work. Descriptions have become names and pigs have become friends.

Pigs are opportunistic in many ways, my favorite being their affection seeking nature. They are unlike any animal. While curious most are initially indifferent to physical interaction with humans. How quickly that changes after a little one on one time. A few pets pats rubs and  scratches later and you'd think we've been lifetime friends. Once that connection has been made, man oh man are you in trouble! Not only do I represent food, water, bedding...but massages and belly rubs!

Life is good for person and pig.

It has been special to watch some of those I work with start to slow down a bit and

2 comments:

  1. That's so nice, they should have some happiness in their short lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww.... the pied pig piper! I LOVE pigs. They smarter than most dogs, and they really do have personalities.

    ReplyDelete