Sunday, December 29, 2013

Sadie is sick

Not sure whats wrong with my little Sadie but she is certainly under the weather. She was off last night...not interested in treats and didn't sleep in her usual spot.  This morning she didnt go out and I didn't make her, it was pouring.  I am still working but stopped by my house in route to check on pigs in the garden...when I realized I didn't take a lunch so Sadie hadn't been out yet! Ugh, feeling like the worst caretaker ever. During the day she pooped in this pantry room I have and while a bit runny did not offer any clues.

I'll take her temperature tonight and run a fecal using the farms microscope tomorrow if she hasn't bounced back. Dreading a vet visit but it will certainly be in order if my boss (a vet tech) and I can't figure it out.

Sadie is by far my 'best' dog in the category of lifestyle compatibility.  She minds herself, keeps an eye on me, is sweet but snarky and totally rules any and every roost even at a mere 14lbs.  My other 2 dogs have quirks that can be emotionally/mentally draining....not Sadie though.  She is my 'reward' dog. A true gem. 

Sorry Cali...your high prey drive run away always has to be leashed dog aggressive highly demanding self can be difficult to enjoy at times (though I love you dearly). With you I am ever vigilant and always aware, never able to drop my guard. Keeping you safe is a full time job!  You do have many amazing qualities and I'm blessed (i think, though cursed may be more appropriate) to have you.

Littles...you know I don't appreciate your endless yearning to mark everything. Inside or out. Unless you're crated I know you will try to sneak a squirt in...or two (twenty). Just this week you marked one of my shoes (yes the ones INSIDE) and that does not make me happy. I give you an inch and you mark for miles. Thank God you love your crate...probably too much actually.

Sadie...I have known from day one after adopting you (when you bit me) that you were street smart.  I can't trust you around children or adults that don't know shit about dogs and that's fine by me. You hold your own. You are loyal, devoted, and just the sweetest most feisty little thing. Get better!

15 comments:

  1. I hope she feels better. Is she on a restricted diet until she's better? I remember our vet putting our dog on a 24 hour fast with just water offered, then just broth with rice until her tummy felt better. They certainly can get into a lot of stuff outside they never should be eating, like carrion. Blech! Hope that's all it is. She certainly is a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's sooooo very sweet, Mer!! I agree with HotFlash. Chicken broth with a little mashed rice is wonderful for doggy tummies. I've used a syringe or straw to draw it up and help them take it if they're stubborn. Once they get a little in them, it helps. Sending prayers for healing for the little one. I know how stressful and worrisome it is....we love them so. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS -- Last summer, my schnauzer got into something funky in the yard and developed a bacterial infection in her intestines. I was devastated because she seemed to be declining quickly......once my gut said, "vet, now" we went. The blood draw confirmed the infection and a week's worth of antibiotic turned her right around (she was up on her hind legs the next morning!).....this sounds somewhat similar. Praying for her!

      Delete
    2. Just make sure the chicken broth is not boullion, or salted/seasoned in any way. Just plain ole "chicken water".

      Delete
  3. If it is her tummy, I know plain yogurt always seems to work when any of my animals are having stomach issues. I also heard pureed pumpkin is great for dogs' stomachs. I'm sure you know all that already! She's cute, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor pup. Hope she gets to feeling better soon. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope it's a passing thing. My vets also usually have you withhold food, fwiw...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope she's better today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What everyone else said! Sick puppies are the worst since they can't tell you exactly what hurts.

    I also respect the fact that you'll take any advice in turn and not use it for your own amusement to berate people in a cleverly-worded blog post later.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the thought and support! I think it was a brief stomach issue as she is interested in treats and appears to slowly be regaining her spunk back. whew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear Sadie is better.
      Not that you need more advice but one of my girls gets running and bloody poop and lays off food for a day or two. Vet's say she has colitis- or IBD. She is skinny spunky like your girl (Wire hair foxy). I am treating with daily herbs (Chamomile) and Pepto on bad days. She cannot have kibble only small animal proteins (chicken, rabbit etc). Not much Vet's can do for colitis unless you want to use a lot of antibiotics.
      Good luck and I hope you find what works for her.

      Delete
  9. So glad to hear this, Mer!! Been thinking of you and Sadie today.

    ReplyDelete