Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Tuesday January 7th 2014

12:47 am

5 degrees F

Bundled up in layers:

1.  Strapless VS bra, purchased with a gift card given to me after my September 21st 2012 house fire.  I was asked by a coworker what would really help me, help achieve normalcy.  my response surprised me as it was truly the 'bare minimum' of comforts...bra and underwear.  In the blink of an eye I received a card from and in it a $100 gift certificate to Victoria's Secret. I purchased 2 strapless bras.  My previous strapless staples were partially burnt or melted beyond use.  I use 'use' loosely as my bust hardly demands *cue Otto Titsling* the need to be kept high and dry. Said bras mold to my body and because I always layer my beyond modest chest can enjoy bras of the strapless variety.  The wires in the bra poked through the fabric, stabbing me in the chest.  the left wire has been exhiled and completely removed, the right cup wire is about to meet the same fate.

2. Yoga VS bralette (That's a real thing right? My phone didn't recognize it). I pair this with above strapless bra to create my perfect breast coverage concoction. Ta da!

3. XL undies (tmi - thong if you must know. Jeans = thongs...it works for me). XL you ask? Yes. I'm 5'6" and weigh 145lbs.  I HATE feeling cinched in my own clothes. If there's an indentation on my skin, whatever it is...its too tight. So, XL it is. I have no idea what adult woman can squeeze (ok, fit) into smalls or mediums.  Oh your generous 'genes'! Jk, all our genes are generous, from S to XL to XXXL.  We are woman! Rocking our jeans!

4. Men's sleeveless undershirt. Aka wifebeaters...hate that term. For over a decade, Jan-Dec, these undershirts have been second skin.

5. Converse jeans from Target. Purchased years ago and frivolously put on the back burner for not being perfect.  Now, post fire, they're perfect enough, except for the fact I'm allergic to the button and metal studs on the pockets. I thought maybe I had ringworm until I realized the correlation.

6. One pair of socks

7.  boots (will write a Columbia boot update soon - dissatisfied though)

8. Grey GAP sweater I found when sorting through prefire wardrobe. (rolling eyes at previous purchases)

9. Random pink light zipper jacket (broken center zipper and right pocket zipper, zippers...always the first to go)

10. American Eagle vest, purchased my junior year of high school...circa 2002?

11. Jacket from previous job (ZED - Zoning Evaluation Division) for a nearby county government.

12. Berne jacket. Christmas present from a lifetime ago.

13. Black Carhartt hand me down bibs

14. Fingerless gloves locally made from Alpaca/llama fiber and purchased at the Bluemont Fair fall of 2012. Best gloves ever.

15. Random scarf turned head wrap scarf combo. Need to find my go to hat!

Headlamp

On your mark, get set....GO (check on piglets)!

8 comments:

  1. Were you warm? Hopefully so with all those layers! I was so bundled up this morning I felt practically clausterphobic by the time I got back to the house! How did all the animals do last night?

    Have you ever tried Muck boots? They are awesome, and very tough and durable, and warm! They're a little expensive, but they last for years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amount of time to get dressed: 20 minutes. Amount of time to check on piglets: 5 minutes. LOL

    I have some Sorel women's boots similar to the Caribou style (they don't make my style any more, they are so old & still truckin') Tough rubber on the bottom part, leather above, half-calf length, tie front, and Sinsulate. These boots have been through the ringer, and they are still great. I LOVE THEM. I worked for a school district for 7 years, and these boots went through crosswalk duty, recess duty, as well as working outside on my acre. They keep you warm and dry for YEARS. Paired with a pair of Yak Trax for icy conditions, these boots ROCK! (No I don't work for Sorel!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. My daughter lives in Fairbanks, Alaska and just bought herself a pair of Sorels. She agrees!

      Delete
    2. Ooops! "Thinsulate"

      Delete
  3. Another vote for Sorels! Keeping my feet warm for over 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking of winter-wear. I just thought of another great product that I have that I would never trade: silk long underwear from Cabella's. (I'm sure you could find them elsewhere) They are very warm, thin so they're comfortable, and if you get overheated they wick the moisture/heat away, and keep you at a comfortable temperature. Really nice. I don't know how much they are, as these were a gift. Just another thing to maybe put on your Santa list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto on the Sorels...fleece lined with wool socks...warm and toastie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another vote for Muck boots.

    Since they're so pricey, I tried them on at Tractor Supply to figure out sizing. Then I started watching online stores (Dicks Sporting Goods, Mills Fleet Farm, Cabelas, etc) and waited until one of their sites had a "$50 off of a $150" purchase type promo w/free shipping, and an extra discount for signing up for their email list. Bingo! Every little bit helps. Hopefully they last a decade or two.

    ~ A.

    ReplyDelete