Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Yak Shack

Today I emptied the contents of a small barn filling a 30 cubic yard dumpster.  I achieved a modest sized scrap metal pile and a very small "48 hour pile" (toss, keep, or donate).

The contents of this building were from a yard sale gone bad...or perhaps it simply never happened.  The barn was supposed to have been cleared before the new owners bought the property. It wasn't.

So I sorted through Christmas ornaments, rusty nails, bowling balls, mummified corpses of various unidentifiable animals, hangers, old clothes, books, children's toys and such.

Why you ask?

In preparation for the yaks of course.  That's right, yaks! The alpaca farm purchased to heifer yaks to arrive before Christmas.  Preparations have begun!

This was no small task, especially after dropping a box of rocks on the top of my left foot while sorting my trailer. Yes...I collect rocks. Its a heavy habit and I had to leave many in VA before moving the trailer to PA.

So yaks it is.

You can ride them, milk them, eat them, use their fiber...a very useful animal indeed!

I'm so thrilled to be a part of this exciting expansion of their farm and to have connected with such wonderful farmers.

10 comments:

  1. Alpacas and Yaks! What fun! I'm happy you're getting such an education caring for a variety of exotic animals. Does this farm have a name and will they allow farm visits?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they actually host open houses for the public to learn more about alpacas.

      I'm not comfortable publically sharing the name of the farm or where I'll physically be located working due to my experiences, anxiety, and paranoia stemming from Ayrshire Farm but send me an email at meredithamonson@gmail.com

      Lets just say if I go missing or am found dead from a "self inflicted" something it's bullshit and the trail will take you right to Sandy Lerner and Ayrshire Farm.

      No joke.

      People are scared to speak publically about their experiences because they fear for their safety. Ayrshire Farm has actively tried to track me down via a private investigator (per heads up I've gotten from people who have been asked where I am).

      Rich and "powerful" people are delusional and completely out of touch with reality....and can pay people to do evil things.

      Delete
  2. Yaks are not like steers... I wouldn't put a saddle on one just yet ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let the games begin!

      https://www.google.com/search?q=riding+yaks&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AVqFQoTCK3Lre6P1sgCFQk_Pgod7vALEg#imgrc=x7pyPLc9BVMG6M%3A

      Delete
  3. That sounds great Meredith! Sorry about your foot - I too have a rather large rock collection... my hubby complains about it whenever we've moved :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg yaks are beautiful! This might be a dumb question but how do they handle the summer heat with those coats?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sister brought a baby coat made from yak wool back from a trip to Nepal -- it has survived my three babies and looks as beautiful as it did new and has a marvelous loft and warmth to it. What an interesting animal to get to care for!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like fun working with a new kind of animal.

    ReplyDelete