Monday, June 18, 2012

carrying capacity

I view the term carrying capacity in two parts.  Financial.  Ecological.

1. Financial
How many animals and plants can I afford to care for?

2. Ecological
How many plants and animals can my farm support while maintaining integrity of the land?

It amazes me how some farmers stuff animals in every nook and cranny of their farm with no regard for how they are impacting the local water quality (agricultural runoff), soil quality (erosion), or happiness of said animal.

Happy and healthy pigs aren't found in a stall.  Happy and healthy goats are not found in a small pen.  Animals NEED the opportunity to forage, graze, or root.  Their natural instincts must take priority.

4 comments:

  1. One reason that I'm not getting goats this year. I know of people who have bought one or two, brought them home, and then just left them tied up in the yard because they didn't bother to plan ahead and build a proper shelter or space for them. I'm saving up my $$ and doing my research so when I do bring home a couple of baby goats next spring, I'll be all ready for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO TRUE! If you don't have enough room to pasture all your livestock all the time, you have too much livestock. I wish, for the sake of the animals, that some people would realize that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. shadow lane, that's great to hear! research rather than impulse makes a successful farmer and HAPPY HEALTHY animals! your future goats will be very lucky indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous, i was only able to pasture my pigs part time, but they did have access to a 1,000 sq ft pen attached to their stall. i left their stall open 100% of the time i had them and they rarely used it with the expection of sleeping overnight during the winter or when it was raining/snowing. for the most part livestock simply prefer to be outside and the more space the better, both for the animal and land. With an education in environmental studies and being an animal lover i cringe at how some animals are kept, and applauding the "farmer" for it is clearly the words of the ignorant.

    ReplyDelete