Thursday, July 14, 2016

Freaking horse bug

From age 10 to 20 I lived and breathed horses. I rode just about everyday. Starting with lessons and progressing to a working student. When I moved to VA from NJ I discovered large public equestrian facilities weren't as prevalent. In Loudoun County (generally) anyone that rides had their own farm/barn/horses.

Wanda, the town gossip and counter help at the local Philomont General Store heard there was a new girl in town looking to ride. She spread the word and I immediately picked up barn work with horses on several local farms. When I got my license I started working on these farms daily, in addition to farm sitting.

I started riding with one of my brothers friends all over the country side and had a blast.  Such a contrast to the ring work in NJ.  I missed my farm friends in NJ but was thrilled to still be in the horse world.

I eventually started leasing a horse from one of the barns I worked at.  He was extremely difficult and dangerous at times.  Soon after he was sold I went to collage and took a horse break (and filled the void with Cali and Sadie).

I've worked with horses since college but nothing clicked. It wasn't fulfilling.  I hated having to work with the horses at Ayrshire, it meant time away from the pigs.

Recently I've been finding myself looking at horses for sale.

This mare is located in my neck of the woods.

Obviously I can't afford to purchase, board, or maintain a horse. I asked them about leasing, they'd prefer to sell.  I asked about schooling her or hacking around until she sells...we shall see!

8 comments:

  1. When I was younger and could not afford my own horse I volunteered at a local therapeutic riding program, it got me horse time and I even got to get in the saddle to help exercise the horses from time to time. I eventually got my certification and was an instructor for a while. Here is the website of the national governing organization for all equine assisted activities. http://www.pathintl.org/path-intl-centers/find-center.

    I know you are very busy and this is unsolicited advice, but your post resonated with a younger me so I figured I would share. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a great experience. Oddly enough participating in therapeutic riding doesn't appeal to me.

      The owner of the horse I have my eye followed up with a proposition. She gallops 50-80 race horses a week and is all rode out at the end of the day. She has a 3 or 4 year old TB filly that has been started under saddle but needs consistent work and further training. She asked if I'd be interested (or able) to ride her filly. It might be mutually beneficial but that feels like work to me at this point. I'd be schooling and training her filly for free adding to her value with no compensation except being able to ride. I would have jumped on th we opportunity in the past (and have) and ended up feeling taken advantage of. Its not pleasure riding but training with a much higher risk of injury.

      She's selling the 11 year old because she's recently had to start boarding all her horses. There might be a way we could work out a deal. She boards with a self care option which I'd cheaper. The farm is just a few miles from the alpaca farm. I'm meeting her there tomorrow. I'm hoping to maybe strike a deal of being able to ride the older mare in exchange for their evening care until she's sold. It won't help with board but will give her some evenings off.

      For some reason I'm hooked on this mare of hers. I reached out to my old instructor where I rode when I lived in NJ and she might be interested. I'm going to get a video tomorrow. 11 years old, only 14.2 hands,sound, sensible, beginner safe, good in and out of the ring. $2,000 obo. What a deal.

      I can't afford a horse, board, or all the various expenses but am scheming a way. I could always give lessons on her for $ or lease to someone while maintaining riding privileges once a week or something.

      Delete
  2. It's just such a huge responsibility if you don't have a lot of cash, so you will have to look at the finances and see. My mare got equine Cushing's and needed $400 a month's worth of medication for the two years before she passed. As it definitely helped her feel good, I couldn't stomach putting her down while there was a way to keep her happy and around, but boy was it a financial burden at a time when I was on a beginning teacher's salary Even one episode of colic can run into the hundreds of dollars (that happened twice lol). And of course it's a 20 year commitment, minimum. But I wish you luck, whatever you decide! They certainly are wonderful to have around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's NO way I'd buy a horse now!

      I wouldn't take a free horse.

      I went and checked out a mare thinking my previous trainer would be interested (she was off, the girl said she was sore from being trimmed...who knows). I could probably ride her for free but I don't even have the time most days and the days I do riding isn't in my top 10 things to do right now.

      I didn't get bit by the bug very hard I guess :)

      Delete
    2. Well, I've certainly seen enough horses with laminitis given Bute before potential buyers came over, it's amazing how dishonest some people can be. But I think the idea of riding and exercising someone else's horse(s) is a great idea though. All the pleasure...none of the vet bills!

      Delete
  3. What part of PA are you in? I'm in SE PA and do some work at a horse farm located in the western part of Delaware County. We use working students as a way to get the chores done and in exchange, the students get instructed riding time. I'm happy to give you more information if the location is convenient and you have the time to exchange chores for riding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in Camp Hill.

    Working student...that takes me back 20 years!

    Thanks for thinking of me but it's probably too far of a hike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, pretty far. That looks like almost 2 hours from the farm. Hope you can get that bug satisfied!

      Delete