Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Cat update

Update on the cat:

"He is doing pretty good.  He really likes the canned food and found his water bowl today.  His Fiv/felv/hw test was negative, he was vaccinated and dewormed, claws clipped. Although he appears blind his pupils are responding  to light.  His paw was not turning under today but he is still circling to the right.  

I talked with our visiting vet last night.  She does not think he was hit with a car if there is no hair loss or wounds.  Possible toxoplasmosis or some other infectious bacteria or virus possible.  His temperature was in the normal range.  I hope to get him to our vet in Boiling Springs this week for some blood work and to schedule his neuter. 

We moved him to the larger, lower cage after testing him today so he has a larger litter box and more space to circle. I'll keep you posted."

Apparently they think he is blind or partially blind which sheds light on his unwillingness to move, unusual stumbles, my initial thought of mobility issues.

They immediately realized he should be much more engaged and watching movements. I thought he just wasn't interested in me. I did the finger test to see if he followed them and I thought he did...but he wasn't very reactive time their preliminary tests.

So glad I picked him up!

Can you imagine being blind on the side of the road frozen in fear and confusion? Bless his heart for not hissing or swiping at me.

5 comments:

  1. So glad he's doing better! Try and keep him in the same location, all the time. Blind cats can find their way around using just their whiskers if they are familiar with their surroundings. Without good eyesight, in unfamiliar surroundings, they're lost and confused.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dropped him off at a no kill shelter on Sunday.

      I absolutely do not want a cat nor could I keep one where I live even if I was interested and could financially do so.

      I'm glad I rescued him from certain death but even the $20 spent on dry food, wet food, litter, and a scoop is an expense I couldn't afford. Under no circumstance could I be convinced to take on another pet.

      I have my hands full with the 3 dogs and just had to pay for Little's $800 dental surgery.

      Sadie will soon need to be seen and possibly have dental work and the dogs need to eat!

      As a single person I'll never own 3 dogs again...maybe not even 2. A leave of absence from dogs might be in order in the future after mine pass away to help get myself in a better financial situation and open a little window for travel if I can afford it.

      Also as a renter its more difficult with pets. If I didn't have them I'd rent the cheapest hole in the wall possible.

      Looking back at combined expenses of dogs over the past almost 12 years I could have paid a huge down payment and been a homeowner by now.

      Love animals, but I'll never reach my goals at this rate.

      I'd tell 21 year old Meredith not to take on a dog. I'd tell 22 year old Meredith not to get a second dog. I'd tell 23 year old Meredith not to spend a personal penny on foster dogs or altering other people's pets. I'd tell 25 year old Meredith not to get a 3rd dog. I'd tell 27 year old Meredith not to get a 4th dog.

      She wouldn't have listened, and these animals and experiences are all part of my story but it's frustrating not being able to travel and not being any closer to owning property.

      Delete
  2. So glad you found him. You are right, being blind and in that position would be terrifying, and no doubt he would have become prey or road kill in a short period of time. So glad you got him the help he needs at the rescue place! What a bunch of great people to care for him with his issues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear kitty is safe! So sad to think of him alone, scared and blind to boot. You're an angel Meredith!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds to me like he had a stroke (circling).

    ReplyDelete