Friday, November 7, 2014

Acorn Collecting

A landless farmer harvests the bounty of the woods. I'm an acorn collecting fool.

Acorn flour, acorn oil, oak gall ink, pig treats, wildlife food over winter months, crafts, spirits...you name it an acorn can provide it.

I have my eye on an oil press and nut shucker but need to focus on my debt first.  I've been encouraged to do a kickstarter campaign, but am not sure I'd enjoy it as much with the pressure to produce or succeed.

In good time.

Mark my words...

Acorns and hemp will soon make their comeback. Step aside corn and wheat, acorns are about to blow your minds!  The Indians knew what they were doing.

4 comments:

  1. Hard to process though, yes? I've heard the Indians kept them underwater in streams for several months before processing, in order to leach the poison from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not as hard as you would think; I feel this is a myth we inherit! I just learned recently and in fact, if you leach the ground flour, it only takes a few hours! :) If you want it easier (as I often do) you can place freshly shelled acorn meats in a jar, cover with water, and change the water a couple times a day for about a week. Not bad! :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the info! There may be some acorn flour in my future, then, as we have acorns everywhere right now.

      Delete
  2. It would be AWESOME if small farms could grow hemp again for fiber! But I am going to content myself with experimenting with some flax production in the spring instead. So glad to see you back on the blog and that things seem to be moving forward for you M.

    ReplyDelete