Saturday, July 13, 2013

I'd rather...

...pee outside than stick to a toilet seat.

This is coming from my current location in northern PA.

In VA I imagine the heat is not just hanging in the air but dripping. One of those days where horses maintain the just worked wet with sweat look all day though the name of the game includes stillness and shade.

The spoiled lucky ones are parked inside staring down fan blades anticipating their evening meal, fly spray, and evening turnout.  Depending on schedule, preference, or bosses wishes stalls will be done in the cooler evening hours or early tomorrow morning before the horses are brought in.

This schedule was mine for almost a year.  Though I commuted over a hour one way to a full time office job Monday - Friday on weekend mornings I was a slave to the farm, more specifically the beck and call of about a dozen very pampered horses (by horses I mean ponies through draft horses, 2 shires to be exact).  In exchange for my rent I worked full weekend days on a 'gentlemans' farm.  I lived in a renovated gambrel barn once used for daily dairy operations.  Now the home to myself, 2 dogs, and the never ending cycle of foster dogs.  I swear the money I anticipated saving in rent went towards professionally having the white carpets ritually steam cleaned. 

After spending (charging) $2,300 on my pit bull mix Cali's leg amputation and basically writing a rent check worth 1/2 a months salary I took advantage of an offer to move to a farm and work off my rent. I hardened and landscaped this property at during my summers home from college.  With new owners the 500 acres had been built into an equestrians dream.

It was quite an experience...but on this Saturday night I sit back and am grateful I'm not a slave to some very large messy demanding luxury items.

No comments:

Post a Comment