Wednesday, May 16, 2012

A freezer full

i will later post an indepth account of my field trip to the slaughterhouse. 

for now, i have a freezer full of 100+ lbs of chops, sausage, bacon, brats, picnic roast, and ribs.  the tenderloin was left with john in NC last weekend during my trip to asheville/VA Tech.  figured he'd do them justice, i'd set the smoke detector off. 


blue ridge meats purchased my two large males and sold out of pork products within 2 weeks.  for a remote, rural, small scale facility in front royal, that says something.  the owner said this was the best pork she's ever seen.  in fact, she's offered to pay me to raise pigs for them IF i can find the breeder where i got my original 3.  i'm not sure i want to have pigs over the summer as my focus is on the garden, and possibly a few turkeys.  what i truly need to focus on is a well built chicken tractor.  my mother who lives 10 minutes down the road has enjoyed coming over and caring for the chickens...this means they free range from the time she leaves until i come home.  DANGEROUS.  i live in fox country.  must have chicken tractor!

the garden is filling up slowly.  this year i pulled the t-posts and put in fence posts.  shop lights are strung around 3 of the sides.  i shall now garden under the cover of darkness!  all my seeds have been planted not under the sun, but under the stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment