Sunday, February 6, 2011

sneak peak

Blue Ridge Mountains - my backyard view.



Back on a property I left 2 years ago, with two additional dogs (total of 4) and now 3 hens.  I rent a tenant house on a small farm which is currently vacant, except for a couple dozen cattle who rotate through our fields. 

The hens are making it through their first winter...happy with fresh water, scratch feed, a blanket of straw atop the snow, and daily culinary surprise these chickens are doing alright. The bantam stopped laying for the winter and I expected the buffs to start laying sometime soon, reading they are hearty winter birds I expected eggs once they reached maturity.  Come on girls!

Thankfully Virginia hasn't seen much snow this year and I am thrilled for that (especially after a 8 hour commute due to one foot of snow in January). Last year around this time we had no idea two back to back storms would shortly dump several feet of snow and create drifts so high Maryland was left in a state of emergency. I batten down the hatches at my parents and rode it out with the 3 dogs and plenty of knitting supplies.










No comments:

Post a Comment