Thursday, February 17, 2011

New Kids on the Block

A local Craigs List find...meet "Roger"...as his former family called him.

Once on my property chickens become nameless.  With all the predators in the area the less emotionally invested in the chickens the better.  Not sure being referred to anonymously as hens or roosters would lessen the impact of one getting killed, but its been my long standing philosphy with foster dogs (their breed is their "name" while hanging at my place) so I'm going to give it a try.
The two buff orpingtons took to him immediately and the bantams seemed to enjoy him as well.

He flew out of the fenced in area yesterday and roosted somewhere out of sight, i checked all outbuildings and ran the spot light up and down all the trees.  I figured he found a good spot and i'd wake to his crowing.  I doubted his longevity after watching a fox lope through the yard, but indeed, he was strutting his stuff as I looked out my windows this morning.  The thought of potentially having chicks is exciting and I look forward to seeing if and when any of the hens get broody.

Speaking of nameless foster dogs, here's Bass, named and already pulling the heart strings.  I haven't fosted in a year so its nice to have a change of pace and a new personality in the mix. well, i could say i still have a foster as the senior rat terrier (pulled from a local shelter) is still here...but i consider him one of the fold...and after all, he has a name, on a tag, with my name, number, and address.

Bass is a 9ish month old GSD/American Bulldog mix (best guess) I took in when a friend decided he no longer wanted to invest the time, energy, and money it takes to move...and bring your dog with you.

I don't normally take owner surrenders, but Bass is super special and an all around lovely boy.  He is wonderful off leash, doesn't stray, looks to me for guidance, and best of all gets along with my other 4 dogs and pays no mind to the chickens.  I hope he sticks around for while as Cali needs a buddy to bring her out of a winter funk.  My other dogs don't really play with her, Bass couldn't be more playful.  He literally brings toys to other dogs and drops them at their feet.  If that's not a demanding play with me right now tactic, i don't know what is.

He was neutered Tuesday and I have a few people interested in him.  If I didn't already have 4 dogs he woudln't be going anywhere.  He's ideal...and even has Schutzhund potential.  Adopting out what i'm convinced is my heart dog? I dread the day.

2 comments:

  1. Hi :) I just wanted to say hello and thank you for taking in nameless fosters :). I work in rescue alot in my area and its always hard to find someone good and caring to take in a foster either temporarily or forever.

    ALso, I have added you to my blog reader and look forward to getting to know your blog!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello there! fostering is trying but always worth it. what animals do you focus on in rescue? where are you from?

    i just invested in a laptop and hope to get internet service at my house soon...and get to blogging! thanks for the add.

    ReplyDelete